This week, hedge fund billionaire Ken Griffin purchased the most expensive home in the United States for $238 million.
The property is located in Manhattan at 220 Central Park South, as the nearly 24,000-square-foot apartment encompasses seven floors. The 79-story tower that the home is located in was built by architects Robert A.M. Stern and developed by Vornado Realty Trust. It overlooks Central Park.
Griffin’s $238 million purchase breaks the previous record for the most expensive home bought in the country for $137 million in 2014. This property was also located in New York in the Hamptons.
According to CNN and Real estate and appraisal consulting firm Miller Samuel Inc., tracking the most expensive home purchases in the U.S. is not an exact science.
“The sale for $238 million has nothing to do with the current market. It has everything to do with 2015, which was around peak luxury,” says Miller Samuel Inc. CEO Jonathan Miller. “In New York the top end is softening right now because of over-development.”
See below for the top five most expensive U.S. sales, per CNN and Miller Samuel Inc.
1. 220 Central Park South, New York – Sold in 2019 for $238 million.
2. 60 Further Lane, East Hampton, New York – Sold in 2014 for $137 million.
3. 50 Blossom Way, Palm Beach, Florida – Sold in 2013 for $129.6 million.
4. 499 Indian Field Road, Greenwich, Connecticut – Sold in 2014 for $120 million.
5. 360 Mountain Home Road, Woodside, California – Sold in 2013 for $117.5 million.